Bring some sunshine into your cooking with some authentic family recipes from the nation’s favourite Jamaican celebrities, brought to you by Red Stripe, Jamaica’s No 1 lager beer who donated to a charity of their choice for each recipe received. Continuing the series we have Linford Christie who may be best known for his Gold medals and success on the athletics track, but he certainly does not sprint around the kitchen. Try his delicious ackee and saltfish recipe, a well-loved family recipe which I’m sure he is cooking again, now he is out of the jungle!
Linford Christie (Olympic Gold Medal winner) – Ackee and Salt Fish
1 x tin of Ackee
1 x teaspoon chicken stock powder
1 x onion roughly chopped
2 x fresh tomatoes
½ teaspoon Black Pepper
1 x knob of butter (optional)
1 x packet of salted cod fish.
If you like more spice you can add 1 Scotch bonnet (deseeded).
● Fill a pan with cold fresh water add salted cod fish and boil.
● Pour off water then repeat 1-2 more times, depending on taste.
● Pour fresh cold water onto fish and leave for 5-10 minutes then drain.
● Flake fish into small fine flakes.
● In a frying pan place oil and sauté onion and tomatoes until onions are soft.
● Add chicken stock powder and salt fish flakes (cod fish), mix in water and add butter.
● Cook for around 2-3 minutes then add Ackee (place on top) and sprinkle with black pepper to season and simmer on low heat for 3-5 minutes, then serve.
I prefer to serve this with fried plantains and dumplings, either boiled or fried.