What do Madonna, Nicole Kidman and Kate Moss all have in common? Well, all three are said to eat an essential bowl of porridge for breakfast every morning. And, what better way to get into a healthy breakfast habit just like the stars, than this Farmhouse Breakfast Week (24th-30th January 2010).
Established by The Home Grown Cereals Authority, Farmhouse Breakfast Week focuses on the importance of eating a healthy breakfast. We all know that porridge for breakfast has a plethora of health benefits, but do we know what they are? To remind us why porridge should be an essential part of your daily diet, Flahavan’s, Ireland’s leading oats producer, has compiled a list of the benefits below:
• Porridge oats have a low GI (Glycaemic Index), which means the body takes longer to burn the energy, helping to combat mid-morning cravings and therefore stops us from eating between meals, they also:
• Aid concentration throughout the day
• Helps to fight obesity
• Helps to lower cholesterol levels
• Helps to lower blood pressure
• Reduces the risk of heart disease
Oats are delicious too – Flahavan’s has over 200 years of experience in producing high quality oats. The family use a unique milling process which cooks the oats twice resulting in a distinctive creamier taste and texture. So, this Farmhouse Breakfast Week, think breakfast… think Flahavan’s.
‘Berry Nice’ Porridge
To prepare a bowl of creamy Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats follow directions on the pack.
To serve: Pour porridge into serving dish. Scatter raspberries and blueberries on top.
Various Flahavan’s products are available in Tesco, selected Waitrose and ASDA.